Wednesday, August 8, 2007

And We're Off!

First day today on South Beach - again. I tried this diet a few years ago and had some success with it, and it really is a very healthy way of eating. Once you get past Phase 1, which is basically a huge attitude adjustment for your cravings, then it gets much easier. But day One? Ugh.

I thought I had packed a lot of food so that I wouldn't be hungry. You're not supposed to be hungry on this diet. But I found myself at work and starting to panic because I didn't think I'd have enough food to last the day. I'll have to pack more healthy stuff so that I can get through the day. I know that caffeinated drinks are discouraged, but at 3pm I finally caved and had a Diet Coke. It really took the edge off my cravings, and helped me keep my eyes open since I went to bed a bit too late last night.

One of the complaints I had the first time around was that this diet doesn't make it easy for people who live a grab-and-go lifestyle as far as their food is concerned. I countered that this time by making all my salad ahead of time, so that I only need to throw a few handfuls into a ziploc baggie (quart size). I cut up and divided all my celery sticks into grab and go packs. I got string cheese, which is already grab and go. Cooking a few nights worth of meat helps keep from having to cook every single freaking night, which is a main reason a lot of people eat out - they just don't want to cook. It will take a bit of planning and doing larger quantities of cooking, and having to get used to leftovers, but it can be done. I'm determined to see that it gets done.

3 comments:

pollyhyper said...

There are some things that I say, you do what you gotta, if it helps you stick to the diet. So if that means treating yourself to a Diet Coke, so be it, just revel in it and enjoy it. A lot of the reason they don't want you eating/drinking a lot of artificially-sweetened products is that they're trying to "kill" your sweet tooth. Well, after 31 years of living with my sweet tooth, I know it won't be killed that easily. So if it's a choice between a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi and something worse, I choose the soda.
IMO the same goes for certain pre-made/pre-packaged foods, like pre-washed/shredded lettuce. Sure, it's ridiculous that it costs more, but remember that your time is money, so it may be worth it to you to buy that lettuce, especially if that's what it takes to be able to prepare your meals.

You probably already do this but I try to plan out my cooking so that it will at least cover 2 or 3 meals. Like I'll cook chicken, and make enough for at least 1 lunch and 1 dinner salad, and possibly a second type of chicken dinner. Also, frozen shrimp are your friend - get them when they're on sale.

You can do it, yes you can! You're very lucky that your guy is dieting with you. I wish I could do that, but J would disappear if he lost any weight.

Lucy Dee said...

Are you trying to lose weight, or are you just trying to eat healthier? If you're trying to lose weigh, you ought to try walking one hour a day. That's it. Every day--just go for a walk. Not even a run, just a walk. A 1/2 walk away (somewhere new each day) and a 1/2 hour back home. Take it one day at a time.

Vegas is really conducive to a sedentary lifestyle. A lot of those western cities force you to use a car everyday, thereby the denizens never get ample exercise. Try walking! It'll work. Bring your iPod, and commit to it.

Anyway, maybe I'll stop by to check on your progress while I'm on tour. I'm a standup comedienne in NYC. So perhaps, one day.

Nice coming across your blog!

Kirsten said...

Polly - Crystal Light and peanut butter also help with the sweet tooth, which I believe was developed because dessert was way, way better than the stepmonster's cooking. Dessert was a chaser.

Lucy - I would sooooo love to live in a city that encourages walking. When it's over 100 here, I don't even want to walk to my car. But Curves is air conditioned, if I ever get my butt back there.