Saturday, August 11, 2007

Give Me the Bread and No One Gets Hurt

Ok, so this no-carb thing is sooooo not working for me. The first day of the diet I was starving all day, and panicky because of it. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough food to last me the day, and since I tend to be a bit hypoglycemic, not having enough to eat makes me panic. Then Thursday I had the migraine and slept all day so I didn't really have a lot to eat. Friday I thought ahead and brought way more food to work than I thought I would eat. Turns out I didn't eat some of it (I came home with 2 hard boiled eggs and a cheese stick), but I also was lightheaded for most of the day. All I could think about was having a piece of bread. My stomach felt a bit queasy because of all the protein, which seriously does not agree with me. So then I got to thinking that I should not do low-carb. Boyfriend would be happy eating all meat, all the time. That's fine for him. Personally, it would make me sick. I need carbs. They settle my stomach, and I never feel satisfied until I've had some starchy stuff with my meal. So, I'll be skipping to Phase 2. I won't lose that big hunk of weight that you're supposed to on Phase 1, but I'll be much happier, and that will make everyone around me much happier. Tomorrow we go shopping for whole grain bread and crackers and other healthier stuff for my lunchbox. As long as I bring enough stuff I want to eat, I'll eat it and stay away from the vending machines.

Since I moved in with Boyfriend, he's gained, um, more than a couple of pounds. My weight has stayed the same. We eat out a lot more than both of us care to do, but I really don't enjoy cooking all that much and since he really won't do pasta, which is the easiest thing in the world to cook, I really don't look forward to cooking dinner. We still need to figure out how to eat in more so that we don't eat out as often and we're both happy with it, and I still really need to get my ass back to Curves. That's all, at least for me. I said before that I did really well when I went to Curves regularly without making any changes to my diet, so there's no reason to believe that it won't work again.

2 comments:

pollyhyper said...

I haven't had time for a real post, but Week 1 didn't go well for me either, although it was mainly due to running out of money and facing the contents of the pantry (read: carbs!) in desperation.

You do what you need to do. Make your goal to eat healthy, intelligently-sized portions, to only eat until you're full. Make sure, if you want to be "true" to SB, that you don't miss your mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks, because that more than anything will leave you feeling starving and send your blood sugars all over the charts!

I'd be curious for a rundown of what and when you were eating, if you feel like giving it. "SB flu" is not uncommon but it sounds like you had it pretty bad. I totally wouldn't mind looking at last week's menu and making suggestions should you want them!

Kirsten said...

I tried to stick to the book, but without getting as fancy - having just low-fat turkey breast instead of the rollups, stuff like that. My main downfall is snacking at work, so I had celery with peanut butter, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, etc. for snacks. Too much protein, not enough balance. I went shopping again and added some high fiber bread and triscuits to my menu and I feel much better.

I've been making better choices, but what I really need to do is exercise. When I work out, it doesn't matter as much what I eat. I just gotta move.